A "How To Apply" link is at the bottom, beneath your eligibility requirements.
Since 1992, the Greater East St. Louis Community Fund has assisted students in various fields of study through our commitment toward educational advancement. Our focus is to promote post-secondary achievement and to enhance the quality of life for residents of East St. Louis and Brooklyn.
MERIT SCHOLAR GRANT
For High School Seniors and Graduating College Seniors
WILLIAM D. STIEHL SCHOLARSHIP
As a legacy to The FUND’s creator, the Honorable William D. Stiehl, the Endowment Fund stands apart as one of our most prized scholarships. Because of the Judge Stiehl’s interest in improving disinvested communities, The William D. Stiehl Scholarship will only be awarded to students whose field of study is city & regional planning, public policy or public administration, and who plan to work in low-income communities upon graduation from college.
In addition to being enrolled in the areas of study noted above, eligible, students must:
- Be a graduating high school senior who is a resident of East St. Louis, IL or Brooklyn, IL
- Attend an accredited college or university as a full-time student with the goal of graduating in 4 years
- Maintain a 2.5 grade point average while in school
All freshmen who are eligible and are approved will receive a $1,000 scholarship. Students are eligible to receive higher scholarship awards if they stay in college and maintain the required GPA. There is a required GPA of 2.5 to stay in the program beyond the freshman year. A student with a 3.0 GPA or higher, may receive a higher scholarship award of up to a maximum of $4,000.00 after their freshman year and depending upon their school classification. The Scholarship Committee will begin their review of the submitted applications shortly after the deadline. Decisions will be announced in writing in July 2018.
• Be a citizen of the United States
• Be a resident of East St. Louis or Brooklyn, IL
• A high school student with a G.P.A. of 2.5 and planning to attend a 2 or 4 year accredited college or vocational institution as a full time student.
• Fellowship Applications: must be a current college senior with a G.P.A. of 2.5 and enrolled full-time or accepted in an accredited graduate or professional training program.
• Be approved by the Board of Directors: Greater East St. Louis Community Fund
• Maintain eligibility requirements each year while in school for subsequent scholarship disbursements
How To Apply